Product Overview 458 socom ammo
The .458 SOCOM (11.63×40mm) is a moderately large round designed to work in an AR-15 platform. This is achieved by installing a 458 bolt and barrel. The 300-grain (19 g) round offers a supersonic muzzle velocity of 1,900 ft/s (580 m/s) and 2,405 ft⋅lbf (3,261 J), similar to a light .45-70 but with a much smaller case.
Prompted by the lack of power offered by the 5.56 NATO cartridge used in the M4 carbine and the M16 rifle, the .458 SOCOM came about from informal discussion of members of the special operations command, specifically Task Force Ranger’s experience that multiple shots were required to incapacitate members of the opposing force in Mogadishu during Operation Gothic Serpent. Marty ter Weeme of Teppo Jutsu and Tony Rumore of Tromix designed the cartridge in 2000 and Tromix was contracted to build the first .458 SOCOM rifle in February 2001.
History of the 458 SOCOM:
The 458 SOCOM was designed in the early 2000s by Marty ter Weeme of Teppo Jutsu, LLC. The goal was to create a round that could provide superior stopping power at close range. The 458 SOCOM achieves this by firing a heavy bullet at a relatively low velocity. The result is a round that can deliver a devastating impact at short range.
The project sponsor set forth a number of specific requirements namely that the cartridge had to fit in the M4 carbine and be capable of firing heavy-for-caliber projectiles at subsonic velocity using suppressors. During the development phase, various other cartridges were considered and proposed to the project sponsor, but rejected as not meeting all the requirements. The cartridges considered were 7.62×39mm, 9×39mm Grom, .45 Professional (which has since become the .450 Bushmaster), and .50 Action Express. At the time, the .499 LWR cartridge was still in the development phase and had not been chambered commercially.
Capabilities of the 458 SOCOM:
The 458 SOCOM is a versatile cartridge that can be used for hunting, self-defense, and tactical situations. It can be fired from an AR-15 platform, which makes it a popular choice among gun enthusiasts. The round can also be loaded with a variety of bullets, including subsonic rounds for stealthy operations.
While taking advantage of state of the art testing equipment, this high performance ammunition by Underwood is field tested using popular, real firearms that customers are most likely to own out in the real world with all the elements you would experience. If for some reason Underwood Hunter Ammunition 458 Ammunition fails to meet performance expectations, Underwood stands by their product 100% and will make sure the customer is satisfied with every purchase. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable nickel plated brass cases.
The Underwood Xtreme Hunter (XH) was born from the incredibly popular Hunter Ammunition 458 Xtreme Defender product line. Like the XD, the Xtreme Hunter (XH) ammunition has an optimized nose flute. The difference is that weight and attained velocity have been optimized to achieve maximum penetration depth with a permanent wound cavity (PWC) that is just simply enormous.
No expanding hollow point comes close to achieving anywhere near the diameter and volume of wound channel achieved by the Xtreme Hunter. Not only is the PWC over 100% larger than any other expanding bullet, terminal performance is achieved despite being shot through barriers. The solid copper body ensures that thick hide, bone, and any other barrier will have minimal effect on the Permanent Wound Channel.
- A permanent wound cavity (PWC) that is 2 times greater than any expanding bullet
- Reduced recoil
- CNC machined from solid copper to overcome barriers for consistent penetration
- Radial flutes that force the hydraulic energy outward due to massive pressure differentials
- Optimized frontal surface area with barrier breaking edges to that increase the force at the point of contact that effortlessly defeat even the toughest of obstacles.
- Specially designed geometry to carry the wound cavity deeper into the target than the XD, and larger than the XP.
- How the 458 SOCOM Works: a. Ballistics b. Bullet Options c. Performance
- 458 SOCOM vs. Other Rounds: a. 458 SOCOM vs. 5.56 NATO b. 458 SOCOM vs. 7.62x39mm c. 458 SOCOM vs. .458 Winchester Magnum
- Hunting with the 458 SOCOM: a. Game Options b. Range Limitations c. Bullet Selection
- Self-Defense with the 458 SOCOM: a. Home Defense b. Close Quarters Combat c. Bullet Selection
- Tactical Applications of the 458 SOCOM: a. Military Use b. Law Enforcement Use c. Ballistics for Tactical Operations
- The 458 SOCOM is a powerful and versatile round that can be used for hunting, self-defense, and tactical situations.
- The round can be fired from an AR-15 platform, which makes it a popular choice among gun enthusiasts.
- The 458SOCOM delivers a heavy bullet at a relatively low velocity, which results in superior stopping power at close range. 4. The 458 SOCOM can be loaded with a variety of bullet options, including subsonic rounds for stealthy operations.
Specifications 458 socom
2000 Feet Per Second
2220 Foot Pounds
|Bullet Brand And Model||
Lehigh Xtreme Defense
WHere to find the 458 socom ammo for sale
Maxammodepot offers bulk sales on .458 socom ammo now available in stock and no Back order.
Our Price for this 458 socom ammo
BULK Underwood Xtreme Hunter Ammunition 458 SOCOM 250 Grain Lehigh Xtreme Defense Lead-Free Box of 500
There are no reviews yet.